Monday, February 14, 2011

~ Cute Idea ~ Valentines's XOXO Cookies in a Jar Chocolate Chip & Oats




YEY It is Valentine's day!  I am so excited to share this idea with you. I've been wanting to make these cookies in a jar for a few weeks now. I finally got to make them, and what a better occasion than Valentine's day.  I made these for my daughter's wonderful teachers.  I think they turned out so cute, hope they like them.

I finally made good use of these jars, I had purchased them more than a year ago, one of my neighbours was suppose to teach me how to preserve tomatoes the Italian way {I hear is very easy, but we really don't jar any vegetables from where I am from} anyways until this day we haven't done it {shame on you neighbour..you promised... :o)} So when I spotted these cookies in a jar @ bakerella, I was like wow! these are so cute, way cuter than jarred tomatoes.  I had to make a few adjustments as my jars were 500mls/1pint size.  And I called them XOXO cookies, they are so yummy, I am actually eating one right now while I write. 

Here is how I layered the ingredients: 
* 2/3 cups of Flour, 1/2 tsp of baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp salt {all mixed together}
* A little bit less than 1/2 a cup of Oats
* 1/4 cup of pecans
* 1/3 cup of pink and red M&M's
* 1/3 cup of Semi-sweet chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup of  Brown Sugar
* 1/4 cup of White Sugar

I packed each layer very tight before adding the other one.  I decorated the lids with Valentine's print fabric.  I cut 6" squares of fabric, fold each one of them in 2, then in 4 and cut the outside corners to make them into round shapes, I put a little bit of padding {cotton is fine too} on top of the lid and under the fabric and tied with a red ribbon.  And voila! they are so cute. 





I also purchased a mixing bowl, a kitchen towel, a whisker, a spatula and heart shaped doilies; put all together on top of a strong piece of cardboard, I had wrapped in red tissue paper. Attached a recipe tag, and tied all together with clear cello paper and a bow.




These can be made for any occasion really, just have to change the color scheme and that is it. I think my kitchen will become a cookie in a jar factory from now on.  I am hooked now!  I will be posting more recipes as I try them out.  I used some heart shaped doilies to decorate some of the recipe tags, I've been seeing these paper doilies everywhere being used on invitations, note cards and more...

My daughter and I had lots of fun putting these presents together. We could have just purchased something at a store, like a picture frame, a candle or a gift card, but for me there is nothing better and more meaningful than a present handmade with love. And that is what Valentine's day is all about: To show others we care and appreciate them. 

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...